Do You Believe In Omens?

After finishing my last post earlier tonight on how we may be misdiagnosing the ails of the market, I had this strange episode where I couldn’t breathe.  I really thought it was lights out.

Last month I had a pain in my calf, which I thought was a pull but it wouldn’t heal so  I visited the doctor and raised my concern that it may be a blood clot.  No worries the doctor said, just a pulled muscle that is taking its time to heal.

That breathing attack earlier tonight?   Brought on by a pulmonary embolism.

It’s 12:40 AM on the Pacific coast and I am laying in the local ER waiting to be admitted to the hospital and treated for “several” blood clots in my lungs.

Another misdiagnosis.  This one a little too close to home.

Do you believe in omens?

This entry was posted in Monetary Policy, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Do You Believe In Omens?

1. Anonymous says:

All the best, heal fast

2. CH says:

Hello from Hong Kong, just want to say you have done excellent job of this absolutely high quality blog..take care and get well soon..cheers

3. Anonymous says:

Hope all goes well. Get better.

4. Larry R. Wagner says:

Wow, Gary. That is terrifying.

I have been spending a lot of time with doctors and the woes of our local hospital. As a result I have been getting an inside look at the world of doctors. It is not encouraging. There are, fortunately, some very good doctors. But many are not so good. A doctor is only as good as his or her diagnostic skills. Unlike most other professions, “minor” mistakes in the world of physicians can be fatal.

Another thing I learned is that doctors insist on policing themselves. And they are not very good at it because of their bias and their code of support of each other.

Good luck and get well!

Larry

Sent from my iPad

5. Phillip Thompson says:

Love your insightful commentary.

Get better soon.

6. J.C. says:

Gary:

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

From your friends in Providence, Rhode Island

J.C.

7. Luis Tan says:

Yes, Gary. I believe in Omens. In your case, I believe it was a Good Omen because you’ve just survived multiple pulmonary emboli in your lungs which originated from a misdiagnosed deep vein thrombosis in your calf a month ago. A significant number of patients with delayed diagnosis of blood clots in the legs die from massive pulmonary embolism. But the fact is you’ve survived DESPITE a misdiagnosis and a delay in the initiation of appropriate anticoagulant therapy. That, to me, is a Good Omen. (What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger). Treatment is easy enough with oral anticoagulants rivaroxaban or apixaban.

Now you just need a decent work-up as to WHY you are getting blood clots in your legs and lungs.
    Do you have a possibly rare genetic clotting disorder (thrombophilia) ? or, perhaps (God forbid) , an undiagnosed internal malignancy? I suggest you see a hematologist/oncologist to thoroughly screen you for a possible underlying CAUSE which makes you now predisposed to clots. (A pulmonary embolism doesn’t just occur out of the blue without an underlying cause any more than the markets crash without causative or contributory factors).

We’ve had a really bad December 2018 in the markets with the S&P breaking down to almost 2400.
    But today the futures are up again and, hopefully, the markets will recover for at least a week before swooning again sometime in the New Year.

Have a Happy New Year and get well soon. I enjoy reading your articles on the Global Macro Monitor.

8. Leonardo Perrotta says:

Hope you’re doing ok, have a great new year and keep up with this excellent job.