Key insights about the companies in this map:
- Collectively, US unicorns are worth approximately $360B.
- Combined, these companies have raised just over $73B.
- After California, New York, Massachusetts, and Illinois, the next-highest unicorn populations are found in Utah (with four) and Florida (with three).
- The top five most well-funded US unicorns are: Uber ($15.1B raised), Airbnb ($4.4B), WeWork ($2.76), Infor ($2.63B), and Lyft ($2.46B).
- The oldest unicorn in the US is the greentech company Bloom Energy, which reached a valuation above $1B in 2009.
- The newest unicorn in the US is 3D printing startup Desktop Metal, which became a unicorn in July 2017 after raising a $115M Series D.
- The three most active investors in US-based unicorns, by total number of deals to these companies, are the VC firms Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Tiger Global Management. – CBINSIGHTS
Hat Tip: Craig Blessing